original structure was built in 1845 by Fray Simon Loscos de Santa
Catalina, an Augustinian Recollect missionary, along the Gothic style.
Its walls and buttresses were made out of coral stones imported from
Some of these stones are still embedded inside the present concrete
walls, and some of it were exposed and demolished when the sanctuary
was recently renovated. The original structure was destroyed by the
bombardment of Cagayan during World War II.
Archbishop James Hayes SJ built the present structure. Inside the
Cathedral are rare priceless stained glass windows that came from
the chapel of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart of New York and are
the works of well-known masters. Just outside the porte-cochere façade
is a wooden Santa Cruz erected in 1888 by the Augustinian Recollect
missionaries. The old belfry was located on the left side and beneath
it was the grave of another Spanish Recollect missionary, Fray Ramon
Zueco de San Joaquin, who died in Cagayan in 1889.