Heritage Conservation Advocates
The commemorative plaque on Casa del Chino Ygua (Balay nga Bato)
Photo and translation by Elson T. Elizaga, June 20, 2024
Casa del Chino Ygua


Sia Ygua constructed this house in 1882, using bricks imported from southern China.

On January 10, 1899, participants of the grand parade in Cagayan de Misamis assembled in front of this house to acknowledge the revolutionary government of General [Emilio] Aguinaldo.

Casa del Chino Ygua was occupied by volunteers from the 40th Regiment of the United States.

On April 7, 1900, it was stormed by the Mindanao battalion, led by General Nicolas Capistrano, in an attempt to free Cagayan de Misamis.

During the battle in Cagayan de Misamis, numerous Filipino rebels perished within these walls. They were subsequently buried in the property’s backyard. End

See historical structures of Cagayan de Oro and Misamis Oriental.